Saturday, September 21, 2013

Knitting / Crochet Bag

I was asked to make a bag for someone to carry around their knitting items. 

This is what I came up with.  A round bottom bag that has multiple pockets around the inside (some are very small in order to accommodate needles easily)
I didn't take pictures at every step, but I will walk you through it!

I started with a dinner plate.  Yep, the bottom circle shape is my largest dinner plate that I traced out onto the outer and the lining fabric.  I also cut out two circles of liner padding.

Next, I measured the circumference of the circle (the total inches all the way around).  I cut out my fabric in that length and the desired height (mine is about 20 inches tall).  Cut out the same in liner fabric.  I cut my liner fabric about 5 inches taller so it would overlap at the top to get a nice crisp border.  Also cut out two padding pieces to create a nice shape.

Measure how tall you want your pockets to be.  I made them 2/3 the height.  Cut twice the amount you need so you can fold it over to create really sturdy pockets.

Cut out some handles and padding for them.


Pin the pocket fabric to the liner fabric.  Mark out your lines to sew for the pockets.  I use chalk to draw out my lines since it washes out easily (or brushes off).  Sew down the lines.  You could start the sewing at the top of the liner but I just sewed from the top of the pocket

Sew the handles into a tube, turn right side out and top stitch along the edges.

Attach the bottom circle to the sides for the outer fabric.  Repeat for the inner fabric.  I pinned and sewed around the circle and then stitched the side closed so there wouldn't be an excess of fabric.  You will keep one padding to one circle and one padding to one rectangle.  In the end there will be two padding pieces for each section.   (You can also see in the background another project I am working on and will post later.)


Put the right sides together and stitch around, leaving an opening to pull right side out.  Since I had the excess at the top of the lining, it created a nice overlap.  Stitch the opening closed.  Top stitch close to where the liner fabric and the outer fabric meet for added strength.

Don't forget to add your personal tag!
I sewed an X on each handle where it attaches to give it extra strength.


Now you have a lovely bag!

With lots of room to tote your projects around



No comments:

Post a Comment