Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cat PIllow Tutorial

I had this black furry fabric that I wanted to turn into a cat pillow.  I had some ideas about the design, first thinking that I would do a square pillow with a cat face.  I kept looking at the fabric and decided a better way would be a cat shape with no face.  I thought it would make a stately pillow that would be comfortable to sit with. 

Finished cat pillow


I started by laying the fabric out fur side down.  I wanted the pillow to be a large pillow for the couch, so I started with a large round shape.  I found my laundry basket to be the perfect size!  I put the laundry basket on the fabric and outlined it with white chalk.

Now that I had the body traced out, I found another circle that I thought looked right for the head.  Lay it down and trace around that as well.

Next I free handed some ears.  Let me mention that these are not perfect and that is okay!

Draw a tail shape.  As you can see, my first shape was NOT what I had in mind!
Cut out your cat shape, lay wrong sides together and use as a template for the bottom.  Pin and cut out.

Pin cat pieces together

Sew around cat pieces, leaving an opening at the bottom to stuff.  Trim around sewn edges since it is such a thick fabric.

Turn right side out

Stuff the pillow and stitch the bottom closed.  I also stitched the tail to the body because I did not like it flopping around the pillow.

Your finished cat pillow!  As you can see, it is fairly large and it is also very comfortable!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial. These are really cute and I wanted to make some. :)

    ReplyDelete