Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Halloween Costume 2012

Yes, it is past Halloween, but I made my son a really cool costume last year.  He requested to be "Bowser" from the Mario games.
I started with the simplicity costume pattern # 2855.  I did a standard suit and made the simple head piece without adding any of the details.  

I added spikes, tail and 'bracelets' to the original costume.   To create the shell, i created a stuffed backpack of sorts.  I made it look like a turtle shell and added a spike in each hexagon.  I also sewed lines on the stomach section and front of the shell to give dimension.  For the head, I sculpted the parts out of fleece by looking at a toy figure of Bowser.  The hands and feet are created based loosely on the pattern with added spikes for the fingernails and toenails.  

Here are some shots showing my progress and of course the finished results.

The spikes, sewn and stacked (for the shell)

lines sewn in the belly of the costume for detail

sorting out the hexagons for size for the shell

first fitting

started sewing on the spikes in the middle and then moved to the edges







No comments:

Post a Comment